For users looking to get the most from their kratom powder, a kratom tincture is a perfect option. Kratom tinctures aren’t just convenient — they’re also one of the most potent and effective ways of getting the highest quality kratom experience. With all that, it’s no surprise that kratom tincture is one of the most popular forms of kratom extract.
Unfortunately, kratom tincture has become more and more difficult to find and buy kratom tincture, primarily due to the FDA’s efforts to restrict kratom access. Although kratom powder remains widely available in most locations, it is now almost impossible to find kratom extracts and tinctures legally available for sale.
Luckily, however, turning your kratom powder into a quality kratom tincture is not only legal — it’s also easy, simple, and fun! Today we’ll be going over everything you need to do in order to make a kratom tincture of the absolute highest quality, right from your own home! But before we get into the thick of it, let’s go over a few basics.
All About Kratom Tincture
What is a Kratom Tincture?
Kratom tinctures are a form of kratom extract diluted with a liquid base. They contain all of the alkaloids and other natural compounds present in kratom and allow users to get a kratom oil dosage in a more convenient form than with traditional kratom powder.
There are a variety of different types of kratom tincture. The most common is what’s known as a kratom full spectrum tincture— which means that the finished tincture contains all of kratom’s compounds. However, some users make use of specialized methods to create tinctures with only their desired compounds, such as the alkaloids mitragynine or 7-hydroxymitragynine.
The guide you’ll find later in this article is a simple recipe for creating a kratom full spectrum tincture of the highest quality. Making full spectrum tinctures is a relatively simple process, but creating alkaloid isolate tinctures is significantly more complicated. But if you’d like more information about how to make specialized isolate kratom tinctures, reach out and let us know!
Why Use a Kratom Tincture Over Kratom Powder?
If you’re an experienced kratom user, you likely have a good idea of how kratom powder and kratom capsules work for you. What’s more, you should expect kratom tinctures to work the same way as the strain of kratom powder you use to brew it!
However, kratom tinctures do have a few benefits that traditional kratom powders do not. These include the following:
- Highly concentrated, meaning proper kratom tincture dosage is likely lower than you’d expect
- Fast-acting, as the body more readily absorbs kratom from liquid extracts (though this is dependant on how you take the kratom tincture; see more below)
- Easy to use without the need for scales, capsules, or other hassles
- Highly portable, as kratom tinctures are typically stored in resealable tincture bottles
- Stores easily for an extended period of time without “drying out”
If these benefits appeal to you, then a DIY kratom tincture may be the perfect way to take your kratom use to new levels of quality and convenience!
Which Strain of Kratom Should You Use?
Just like traditional kratom powder, kratom tinctures can affect users differently depending on the strain of kratom used; after all, the finished tincture will have the same alkaloid profile as whichever kratom powder you’ve chosen!
If you’ve used a variety of kratom products in the past, then you likely have some idea of which strains work best for you. When making kratom tincture, use the strain of kratom powder that you’ve traditionally enjoyed.
The most important thing is to only use quality kratom powder with lab-certified purity and potency.
Kratom Spot offers a wide variety of the highest quality kratom on the market. Browse our extensive selection at the following pages:
If you’re new to the world of kratom, consider trying one of our kratom variety sample packs, which allow you to sample a wide variety of the world’s best kratom at a discounted price!
How to Make Kratom Tincture at Home
With all that out of the way, let’s get down to creating a quality kratom tincture with simple, easily obtainable ingredients.
The mixing process is simple, straightforward, and quickly completed within less than an hour. Note, however, that the tincture takes a while to extract all of the kratom powder’s alkaloids fully; the mixture needs to sit for about a week before resulting in a finished kratom tincture.
What You’ll Need
- A scale for measuring your kratom powder
- Kratom powder (we recommend using approximately 4 ounces of kratom powder, to produce a significant amount of tincture and cut down on the need to repeat the process)
- 80-100 Proof Ethanol/Ethyl Alcohol (approximately 1 liter of alcohol per 4 ounces kratom powder)
- A large mason jar or another sealable glass container
- Citric Acid
- pH strips
- Cheesecloth or another fine straining material
- Dark glass tincture bottles, ideally with a glass squeeze dropper for easy measurement
- A funnel (optional but recommended to avoid spillage)
Step-by-Step Kratom Tincture Guide
- Measure your kratom and ethyl alcohol proportions, then mix: Use your scale to measure the precise dosage of kratom you intend to use, and write this number down so that you can calculate proper kratom tincture dosage (more on this later). As noted above, we recommend using 4 ounces of kratom powder. The amount of ethyl alcohol you use is dependent on your kratom powder dosage. For every 4 ounces of kratom, use 1liter of ethyl alcohol. Place the kratom powder in your large mason jar, then add the ethyl alcohol. Gently stir the mixture to ensure that all the kratom is exposed to the alcohol.
- Add citric acid to the kratom + alcohol mixture until it has a pH level of 4: Carefully add a small amount of citric acid to the solution, mix, and then test the mixture’s acidity level using a pH strip. Repeat this process until the solution has a pH level of 4 or slightly lower. This step helps to convert the kratom alkaloids into a salt form, making them much easier to extract into your kratom tincture.
- Seal the mason jar and store the mixture in a cool, dark place for at least a week: This step is necessary to ensure that your tincture fully extracts the alkaloids from your kratom powder. Seal the mason jar, shake it well, then store it in a cool, dark place. Make sure that the jar is not exposed to direct sunlight. Allow the mixture to sit for at least a week. Some users report better results when they allow the mixture to sit for longer (up to two weeks), but a week is likely enough.
- Strain the mixture: After your mixture has soaked for at least a week, it is ready to be strained.Shake the mason jar well before opening it. Open the mason jar, then cover the mouth of the jar with your cheese cloth or other strainer. Pour the liquid through the strainer and into another glass or metal mixing bowl. Remove any remaining kratom powder from the mason jar, then use your funnel to place the liquid mixture back into your mason jar.
- Cover the mason jar with cheesecloth and allow much of the liquid to evaporate: To improve the potency of your kratom tincture, we will allow much of the liquid to evaporate off.Cover the mouth of the mason jar with cheesecloth or another fine strainer. This is to allow the evaporating liquid to escape while preventing any debris from making its way into your finished kratom tincture. The amount of liquid you should allow to evaporate is a matter of personal preference. The evaporation process will not impact the total amount of alkaloids in your tincture, but it will affect the tincture’s potency per mL. As a rule of thumb, many users evaporate the mixture until they can fill one tincture bottle per ounce of kratom powder used in the mix. To determine your desired potency of tincture (and the amount of liquid you should allow to evaporate off), see the “Kratom Tincture Dosage” section below.
- Fill your tincture bottles, and enjoy: And with that, your kratom tincture is complete! Simply funnel the finished tincture into your tincture bottles, seal them, and store the bottles for later use.It is a good idea to clearly label your kratom tincture bottles with the dosage they contain, the date you finished the tincture, and any other information that may be useful for future reference.
How to Use Your Finished Kratom Tincture
There are two important considerations for using your finished kratom tincture: kratom tincture dosage and ingestion method.
Kratom Tincture Dosage
Just as with kratom powder, there is no one-size-fits-all recommendation for proper kratom tincture dosage. Kratom can affect all users differently, and only your own experience can best determine how much kratom tincture to take.
For a useful rule of thumb, we can do a bit of math.
Simply take the number of grams of kratom you used to make your kratom tincture, then divide that number by the volume of finished tincture (in mL) that you produced to find your liquid kratom dosage.
This will give you an estimate of the potency per mL of the finished tincture. From there, you can calculate the number of mL’s needed to reach your intended dosage.
As always, we recommend starting small when starting to use any new kratom product. This is especially true for users switching from kratom powder to kratom tinctures, as the body absorbs and processes a kratom oil dosage somewhat differently. So start low, with a smaller dose than you would use with kratom powder until you have determined how your DIY kratom full spectrum tincture affects you.
How to Take a Kratom Tincture
Kratom tinctures are extremely versatile, and users can take them in a wide variety of ways. Some of the most popular include:
- Sublingual dosing
- This method involves taking your intended dosage of kratom tincture, holding it under the tongue for 30-60 seconds, and then swallowing the rest. The area under the tongue is rich in highly-absorptive blood vessels, and sublingual dosing allows your body to very quickly absorb the kratom alkaloids. The remaining kratom compounds are then swallowed and digested, allowing the body to digest and absorb the remainder. This is likely the most common method of taking a kratom tincture because of its increased effectiveness.
- Adding kratom tincture to food or drink
- By adding your intended dose of kratom tincture to the food or beverage of your choice, you can create a tasty custom recipe that makes your kratom a bit more flavorful. This method does not increase the absorption speed or effectiveness of kratom but can make it more enjoyable for those who dislike the taste of raw kratom tincture.
- Simply swallow the kratom
- For those who want a straightforward dosing method, you can simply swallow your intended liquid kratom dosage. This method does not offer the increased absorption speed of sublingual dosing; however, it allows you to take your dose with virtually no effort. Plus, the body more readily absorbs kratom tincture, so this method will still be more efficient than orally taking traditional kratom powder!
Enjoy Your DIY Kratom Tincture
That completes our comprehensive guide on making a quality kratom tincture at home until they day you can easily buy kratom tincture from your favorite vendor. We hope that these techniques allow you to enjoy your kratom in new and convenient ways.
But of course, if you’d rather enjoy a pre-made liquid kratom shot with none of the DIY fuss, try our delicious kratom shots! They combine a potent dose of our quality kratom extract, the most delicious taste you’ll find in any kratom product, and the pure convenience that makes them easy to take at home or on-the-go!