Ask a regular kratom user, and they’ll tell you: kratom is one of the most versatile botanicals around. But whatever reason you’re considering kratom, there are a ton of factors to consider. And using kratom for sleep? That’s no exception.
Many users report that kratom can help them deal with irregular sleep and wake feeling more rested. But some other users have difficulty getting the sleep they need, even with kratom’s help.
And, of course, everyone reacts differently to kratom. But the difference could be a simple matter of the basics: choice of strain, dosage, consumption method, and more.
In this article, we give you the low-down on all things kratom and sleep. From the community’s best tips for success to recommendations about other natural sleep remedies, we’ve got what you need to get back to the sleep of your dreams.
How Does Kratom Affect Sleep
Given the right conditions, many users find that kratom can help them get to sleep faster, stay asleep longer, and wake feeling more rested. But it’s not that simple, and some users find that quite the opposite is true!
There’s a simple reason: kratom is an incredibly versatile botanical; depending on your dosage, choice of strain, and more, you could experience very different effects with different uses.
But with the right combination, many users report that kratom for sleep is one of the most relaxing, consistent tools in their sleepytime toolbox. Users report that kratom can offer the following sleep-boosting effects:
- Reduced pain
- Anxiety relief
- Calming, slightly sedative effects
But with kratom, it all comes down to making the right choices for you. Choosing the right strains and dosages are two of the most important factors.
The Best Kratom Strain for Sleep
When it comes to kratom for sleep, finding the right kratom strains can make all the difference.
Everyone will react slightly differently to kratom, but users generally report the following trends:
- White vein kratom strains tend to be the most energizing and uplifting. As such, white strains are unlikely to be a good choice for getting better sleep.
- Green vein kratom strains often offer a middle-ground between white vein and red vein strains. Users often experience a sense of calm focus that can be a decent choice for sleep, but many users still find them too energizing for that purpose.
- Red vein kratom strains are reported to be the most relaxing of all. These offer the most potent relaxation and pain-relief effects. As such, most users find red vein kratom for sleep to be ideal.
But kratom strains aren’t just defined by their color. Each strain also has a number of regional variations, and these variations can be just as important for finding an effective strain of kratom for sleep.
For more on the regional strains of kratom and what they have to offer, check out this guide.
Find the Right Kratom Dosage for Sleep
As always with kratom, finding the right dosage is key. But with kratom for sleep, it’s even trickier than usual.
Kratom is dosage-dependent, so different dose sizes can have very different effects.
Most users observe the following:
- Smaller doses tend to be more uplifting.
- Moderate doses tend to be more relaxing.
Despite this, our recommendation is always to start small and work your way up.
So when you’re first trying kratom for sleep, you might consider taking smallish doses earlier, and work your way up until you find one that’s sufficiently calming. From there, move your next dosage to just before bedtime!
Choosing the Right Consumption Method
The way you choose to take kratom likely won’t have a significant effect on its sleepytime effects. However, there are a few tips for ensuring you have a successful experience.
- If using the toss and wash method, avoid caffeinated or sugary liquids. These can perk up the metabolism and disrupt your sleep for hours to come.
- If using oblate discs or otherwise “parachuting” kratom, know that the onset of your effects will be delayed somewhat. Be sure to account for how long the disc or other wrap will take to dissolve, and take your dose early enough to overcome this delay before bedtime.
- If you’re making sleepytime kratom tea, be sure to use the right tea base. You want to avoid black, green, or other tea leaves that are naturally caffeinated. Floral, lavender-infused teas are a classic sleepytime choice, just as useful with kratom as when taken alone.
For more on these and other kratom consumption methods, see our Guide on How to Take Kratom.
Other Natural Sleep Remedies
With something as important as good sleep, you should never put all your eggs in one basket. Kratom may be an effective tool for some sleep disorders, but it shouldn’t be your main one in the long term.
Luckily, there are a thousand and one natural sleep remedies that can help you catch some Zzz’s and enjoy more wakeful, focused days. Here are a few of the most time-honored and effective:
- Regular, moderate exercise
- Avoid caffeine
- Avoid alcohol
- Sleepytime tea
- Lavender-scented aromatherapy
Ultimately, getting good sleep is a matter of lifestyle. While adding a new botanical, like kratom, may help, it’s unlikely to be the holy grail of good sleep.
By making small adjustments to your daily routine, you’re far more likely to enjoy long term success, better sleep, and the rested focus that comes with it.