With interest in kratom booming, it’s only natural for some users to become interested in growing kratom themselves. But farming kratom isn’t quite so simple as that, as this Southeast Asian tree requires a number of special considerations to thrive.
What space and special tools are necessary for farming kratom? What sorts of soil and light are necessary? Is growing kratom in the US even legal? These are just a few of the questions you’ll need to answer before deciding whether growing kratom at home is right for you.
Luckily, we’re here to help. Today we’ll be going through the ins-and-outs of farming and growing kratom, giving you all the tips and tools you’ll need to decide whether growing your own kratom is a viable option for you. At the end of the day, it’s a complex and costly affair — but one that will eventually yield a renewable source of high quality kratom powder!
Is Growing Kratom Legal in the US?
Before taking the time to consider the practical requirements of growing kratom, it’s essential to verify whether growing kratom is legally permitted in your area.
Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Kratom legality varies wildly by jurisdiction. Even in areas where use is legal, growing kratom may be subject to special legal restrictions. The issue is complex, and you’ll have to do a bit of independent research into your state, or even county’s, specific policies.
Again, it’s vitally important to do this research before investing the time, research, and money into starting-up your kratom farming. Growing kratom can involve significant start-up costs, and you don’t want to discover that your at-home farm is illegal after you’ve already sunk time and money into it.
Should I Consider Growing Kratom? The Pros and Cons
Growing kratom at home is an attractive option for some users, but it’s important to weigh the pros and cons to determine if farming kratom is right for you.
The Cons of Growing Kratom
For all its potential benefits, growing kratom at home is complicated, and it may not be viable for all users. Here are a few considerations that argue against farming kratom at home.
- Kratom requires special growing conditions that are different from most plants you might already be growing. From special, alkaloid-rich soil to ambient natural or artificial light, kratom is a tough crop to grow properly. Southeast Asia’s tropical environment is uniquely suited to growing kratom, and it may be difficult to have a successful kratom crop in your area. Even if you successfully grow kratom plants at home, they are unlikely to have the same alkaloid content as professionally-grown kratom trees, which will diminish the crop’s effects.
- Growing kratom takes a long time before your first harvest. Kratom trees can take two to three years before they are fully mature and ready for your first harvest. If you’re willing to put in the time, effort, and expense of caring for your kratom trees through this time, the payoff can be significant — but for private use, this effort may be too much.
- Growing kratom indoors is virtually impossible, as kratom trees require ample space. When they are fully mature (and therefore ready for harvest), kratom trees will typically be upwards of twenty feet tall. As they continue to grow, they can become truly massive, measuring-in at up to 82 feet tall!
- Kratom plants require a very large amount of water. Like most plants indigenous to tropical and rainforest environments, kratom trees are extraordinarily thirsty and require constantly damp soil. While it is possible to overwater them, kratom plants will require near-constant hydration. This can add significant time and monetary expense, particularly if you are farming multiple plants at once.
With all that in mind, it’s clear that most users will have difficulty growing kratom plants. But for those with access to ample outdoor space, the time and energy to care for their seedlings, a bit of agriculture know-how, the rewards can be substantial.
The Pros of Growing Kratom
If growing kratom requires start-up costs, has legal implications, and is generally such a complicated affair, why even consider it? Simply put, because it can pay-off in the long-run.
- The main benefit, of course, is cost savings. By growing kratom at home or on a small-scale farm, users will eventually have a renewable source of kratom leaf. Although caring for, harvesting, and processing your DIY kratom crop brings its own significant expenses; most kratom growers will save a bundle in the long run.
- Kratom is environmentally friendly, and growing it can benefit your land. Kratom trees have a number of agriculturally-friendly benefits, and farming kratom may benefit your land. For a full run-down of kratom’s environmental impact, take a look at our in-depth guide to kratom and the environment.
Ultimately, you’ll have to decide for yourself whether the pros of growing kratom outweigh the cons. Startup costs are significant, in terms of both resources and time. But, in the long run, growing kratom can save you a bundle, benefit your environment, and deliver the satisfaction of a job well done!
Tips for Growing Kratom
So you’ve decided to try your hand at growing kratom? Here are a few important tips to ensure that your first attempts will go as smoothly as possible.
- Consider growing kratom plants from cuttings rather than seeds. Germinating kratom seeds can be a frustrating process, and will definitely add a bit of extra time before harvest. Considering that kratom trees take years to mature before they’re ready for their first harvest, the extra time may be insignificant — but every bit counts! Instead, consider planting a cutting of kratom directly in the soil, keeping it moist until the cutting takes root.
- Consider investing in a humidifier. Kratom trees are temperamental, and you’ll get the best results by simulating the rainforest environments that the trees call home.This is especially true if you live in arid climates, which can dramatically slow your kratom trees’ maturation..
- Automatic irrigation can be a big time saver. Because kratom plants require such large amounts of water and constantly damp soil, the labor of watering them can be quite significant. Investing in automatic irrigation will add to your startup costs, but will save you a lot of work over the course of kratom’s multi-year growth cycle.
- Provide plenty of natural or artificial light. Kratom trees require a massive amount of light throughout the majority of their lifecycle. Consider investing in artificial lights to supplement the natural light in your area. High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights are particularly effective and a favorite among DIY-growers of all sorts. Even during the plant’s “night cycle”, however, be sure to keep the grow area warm, mimicking Southeast Asia’s natural rainforest conditions.
- Prune your kratom trees regularly, especially if you have limited space. By regular pruning unwanted growth, you can help ensure that your kratom tree will grow bushy rather than tall. If you are attempting an indoor-grow, this is especially important, as kratom trees will naturally grow far too tall for most indoor spaces.
- Use the right, nutrient-rich soil. A successful kratom crop depends, above all, on the soil in which it’s grown. Kratom trees demand a nitrogen-rich, slightly acidic soil. Be sure to regularly test your soil and, when necessary, modify the acid content to facilitate proper growth.
At the end of the day, growing kratom is a demanding affair, in terms of initial expense and time. But if you have the resources, space, and (above all) patience, farming kratom can be an enjoyable and rewarding affair.
If you decide to try your hand at growing kratom, be sure to do ample research in advance. Success is a residue of forethought and planning, and a bit of preparation will ensure that your first kratom harvest is a rousing success!
But, if growing kratom isn’t a viable option for you, worry not! We’re here to provide you with the highest quality kratom, direct from the most experienced growers in Southeast Asia. Kratom Spot works hard to bring you the best product at the best prices, so you can enjoy top-quality kratom every time.