Looking to make your dose of kratom go just a bit further? Lemon juice might be just the ticket!
If you’re just here for the endorsement, here it is: Kratom and lemon juice make for an exceptional combo, both in terms of flavor and enhanced effects. That’s one reason why you’ll see them paired in so many kratom tea recipes!
Looking for a bit more in-depth know-how about the how and the why? Well then, read on! We’ll cover all the basics about pairing kratom and lemon juice, with links to resources to learn more about and use this remarkable pairing.
Why Use Kratom and Lemon Juice?
Two big reasons.
Number One: Lemon juice is a “kratom potentiator” — meaning that lemon can make your kratom dose more potent and effective.
How does that work? In two basic ways:
- Lemon juice slows the body’s breakdown of kratom, making the effects last longer at peak efficiency.
- Lemon juice helps pull out the alkaloids from the raw kratom powder, helping you get more out of your treatment.
Anyone looking to stretch their kratom supply (and pocketbook) further would be well advised: using a kratom potentiator such as lemon juice is an excellent idea!
And Number Two: Most people find that kratom powder tastes… well, not great. Adding a bit of citrusy goodness can make your dose far more enjoyable by balancing out kratom’s natural, earthy flavor!
In short: Lemon juice and kratom are a match made in heaven, both boosting kratom’s effectiveness and enhancing its taste!
Any Citrus Juice Will Do the Trick!
In fact, all citrus juices have the potential to have a potentiating effect. Though lemon may be the most popular pairing with kratom, grapefruit is the one that gets the most attention in the wider health and medical communities.
It’s actually the same mechanism that makes grapefruit inappropriate for use with some prescription drugs. Citrus juices change the way the body interacts with substances — and in kratom’s case, that results in more effective doses that last longer.
Grapefruit is a More Effective Potentiator
Grapefruit gets the most attention in the medical community because it interacts most strongly with how your body metabolizes drugs and supplements. There hasn’t yet been any formal research comparing kratom and lemon juice vs. kratom and grapefruit juice, but anecdotal reports suggest that grapefruit is a noticeably stronger kratom potentiator.
So why do people talk so much more about kratom and lemon juice? A few possibilities:
- On average, folks tend to enjoy lemon’s taste a lot more than grapefruit’s (I personally can’t stand grapefruit’s flavor)
- Kratom is often made into tea, and lemon is a more traditional pairing with classic tea recipes.
Regardless of the reason, available evidence makes it clear: grapefruit is a stronger kratom potentiator than other forms of citrus. So if you’re looking to get everything you can out of your regular kratom dose, go for grapefruit. But for those looking for a moderate boost with a bit more enjoyable flavor? Stick with lemon.
The Best Ways to Use Kratom and Lemon Juice
Kratom and lemon juice make for a match made in heaven — but how best to pair them?
There are many ways to take kratom powder, and you can combine any of them with lemon juice.
Because here’s the thing: you don’t need to miraculously infuse your kratom powder with lemon.
Instead, just take lemon juice at the same time as your dose of kratom.
But for my money, the most effective and enjoyable way to combine kratom and lemon juice? Making a delicious kratom tea.
The Secret to Delicious Kratom & Lemon Tea
Here’s the trick: don’t try to reinvent the wheel.
When incorporating kratom tea into your wellness regimen, there’s no need to create an entirely new type of tea. Kratom pairs well with many traditional tea recipes, and adding your dose is simple and easy.
Find your favorite traditional tea, then brew with a bit of kratom powder (tips for that in the recipe below). If the flavor works for you, then great! If not, time to move on to the next batch.
Basic Kratom & Lemon Juice Tea Recipe
Looking for a base to get you started? Here’s one simple kratom and lemon tea recipe that we’ve used a thousand different ways.
This is a no-frills kratom tea recipe that serves as an ideal base for experimentation. Sure, it’s tasty enough on its own, but the real key is using this as a stepping-off point for your own kratom tea innovations!
Once you’ve got the basics of this recipe down, it’s time to get innovating. By spicing this basic recipe up with your own favorite ingredients, you’re on the right track for a delicious kratom tea recipe that’s all your own.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 or 3 cups of water
- ½ of a large, fresh lemon (you may substitute this for 2 – 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice)
- Your preferred strain of kratom powder
- Something to strain the finished tea, such as a tea strainer or a coffee filter
- Optionally, sugar, honey, or another sweetener of your choice
Kratom Tea Brewing Instructions:
- Add the water to a saucepan, bring it just to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Squeeze the half lemon into the simmering water, or add the 2 – 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice.
- Ensure that the water is simmering and not boiling. Then, add your intended dose of red vein kratom powder.
- Keep the tea mixture simmering for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat source, then carefully strain the tea to remove the kratom sediment.
- If you like, add sweetener to taste. Allow to cool briefly, then enjoy!