When it comes to kratom, sports enthusiasts, athletes, and casual gym-goers all have their opinions. Some say that kratom is a great pre-workout, others that it helps them with the aches and pains of the recovery period.
But when it comes to kratom and sport at the highest level, it’s important to clear up a few concerns. Chief among them: Is kratom a performance-enhancing drug? Is it on the US Anti-Doping Agency or World Anti-Doping Agency ban lists? And how do world-class athletes incorporate kratom into their sport and training regimen?
In this article, we’ll cover all that and more. Let’s dive into the wide world of kratom and sports.
Kratom’s Effects on Physical Performance
Kratom has been used for centuries, especially in the Southeast Asian countries from which it originates. Physical laborers historically used it to increase their endurance and strength during long days of strenuous work.
That potential to boost endurance and focus through taxing exercise has attracted many modern athletes to kratom. Sport, like physical labor, can be incredibly taxing on both the body and the mind. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
According to user reports, many athletes take kratom for the following potential benefits:
- Increased energy and endurance during training and exercise. This is especially true with lower doses.
- Moderate pain relief, which can help with muscle fatigue and soreness following strenuous workouts. This is especially true with moderate to larger doses.
- Relief from anxiety and stress, which can be especially helpful before a high-profile sports competition.
With all these benefits of kratom, sports enthusiasts and athletes alike might be excited to incorporate kratom into their training and recovery regimen. But for athletes performing at the highest levels, one question looms large.
Is Kratom a Performance-Enhancing Drug?
According to user reports, kratom certainly offers many benefits for athletes of all stripes. But if you’re looking to compete, you need to make sure your supplements won’t land you in hot water.
Kratom is not banned by the USADA or WADA.
Kratom was on WADA’s monitored substances list for several years, meaning that kratom’s sports benefits made it suspect.
But in 2018, following the conclusion of WADA’s investigations, kratom was officially removed from the WADA monitored substances list, and kratom is now 100% acceptable for athletes competing at the highest levels!
Which Kratom Strains are Best for Sport?
If you’re thinking of incorporating kratom into your sport and training regimen, it’s important to select the right kratom strain.
Kratom’s effects come principally from two alkaloids that the plant contains: mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine.
All kratom strains will contain some amount of both alkaloids, but in different proportions. The differences between kratom strains can have a big impact on the effects you’ll experience after taking your kratom dose.
- White Vein Kratom: The most energizing and uplifting kratom strains.
- Green Vein Kratom: Offers a balance of energy and relaxation.
- Red Vein Kratom: The most relaxing and pain-relieving of kratom strains.
Depending on when you want to use kratom and how you’re hoping to help your athletic prowess, different strains may work better.
- Looking for a pre-workout boost to endurance and energy? A white vein strain may be your best bet, working much like kratom’s cousin, coffee.
- Need a boost to keep you feeling alert and comfortable following exercise? A green vein strain could work wonders, giving both energy and a bit of relaxing pain relief to take the edge off your tired muscles.
- Need help recovering from extreme muscle fatigue and soreness or coping with pre-competition anxiety? Red vein kratom’s analgesic and anti-anxiety effects may be just what the doctor ordered.
If any of these kratom sport benefits sound appealing, you’re well on your way to choosing the strain that will work best for you. But even within those strains, there are different varieties to choose from!
Luckily, we’ve already broken-down the effects of regional kratom strains, which should give you all you need to figure out what strain will work best for your needs.
Still can’t make up your mind? Our kratom bundles allow you to sample all our strains, either from our most popular offerings or everything we have within the color of your choice!
Kratom and Sport, In Closing
For athletically-minded kratom enthusiasts the world over, the news is good.
Kratom offers a host of benefits that can aid in athletic training and recovery, and it is 100% permitted at even the highest levels of competition.
Different strains offer different effects, making them better suited to different parts of the training and recovery process.
- White vein strains are uplifting and energizing, making them ideal as pre-workout supplements, much like caffeine.
- Green vein strains offer a boost to both energy and calm, making them perfect for a variety of purposes.
- Red vein strains are the most calming and pain-relieving, making them the strain of choice for recovery after strenuous exercise.
But it’s not just top-performing athletes who can benefit from kratom. Sport comes in all shapes and sizes, and even everyday activities can benefit from a bit of kratom!
If you’re looking to incorporate kratom into your regimen, Kratom Spot is here to help. We stock only the highest quality kratom strains, and our customer support team is here to answer any questions you may have about fitting kratom into your lifestyle.