Even among kratom’s most diehard fans, you’re not likely to find many who enjoy kratom’s raw, earthy taste. It’s unsurprising, then, that the kratom community is abuzz with tips and tricks for combatting kratom’s flavor, either by masking it or mixing it with another complementary flavor.
One of the most effective and enjoyable? Kratom honey sticks!
That’s right. Honey is an absolutely delightful complement to kratom’s taste — one that works with and transforms kratom’s earthy taste into something truly enjoyable.
Making Kratom Honey Sticks
Making kratom honey sticks is fairly simple. Depending on the method you use, it could be as simple as mixing a bit of kratom powder into your favorite regular honey!
But simply mixing kratom powder has a downside: the kratom powder won’t dissolve, and it will result in a gritty, somewhat inconsistent honey stick.
Much better, in my humble opinion, is to extract the kratom alkaloids first, then infuse that extraction directly into the honey! It takes a few extra steps, but the payoff is a far smoother, more consistent and enjoyable kratom product.
Here’s what you need to do to make the perfect kratom honey sticks.
Step One: Making Kratom Alkaloid Extract
We start out by extracting kratom’s alkaloids into a simple water solution. We use lemon juice to help extract the alkaloids — and it also has the benefit of boosting your dose’s effectiveness!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 or 3 cups of water
- ½ of a large, fresh lemon, or 2 – 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice (you may use another acid, but lemon juice was chosen for flavor)
- Your preferred strain of kratom powder
- Something to strain the finished solution, such as a tea strainer or a coffee filter
What To Do:
- Add the water to a saucepan, bring it just to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer.
- Squeeze the half lemon into the simmering water, or add 2 – 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice.
- Ensure that the water is simmering and not boiling.
- Then, add your intended dose of kratom powder.
- Keep the mixture simmering for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat source, then carefully strain the tea to remove the kratom sediment.
- Allow the kratom-infused solution to cool.
Step Two: Infuse Kratom Alkaloids Into Honey
Now that we’ve extracted your kratom alkaloids into a water solution, we just need to infuse it into our (soon-to-be) kratom honey!
What You’ll Need:
- Kratom alkaloid solution from Step One
- Your favorite traditional honey
What To Do:
- Place the alkaloid solution into the saucepan. Bring the solution just to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer.
- Pour honey into the simmering alkaloid solution, then stir until well combined.
- The honey will be diluted and watery. Keep at a simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture has reduced somewhat and the honey has thickened slightly.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow the honey to cool.
And it’s as simple as that! We’ve got a delicious, perfectly-mixed and consistent kratom-infused honey that will not only taste delicious but will also make your kratom experience far more enjoyable!
Putting the “Stick” in Kratom Honey Sticks
Of course, if you want to make your kratom honey into kratom honey sticks, there’s one last step.
Unfortunately, I’m not aware of anywhere that sells empty honey stick straws, so we need to get a little creative. Luckily, the wide world of the interwebs has us covered!
Long story short, we need to:
- Seal one end of a traditional plastic straw. It’s best to do so with a handheld heat sealer, but some sources (such as the video linked above) recommend doing it with a candle, then using pliers to press the slightly-melted straw closed.
Note: if you use the candle method, be sure to avoid actually burning the plastic! Just heat it slightly, enough to get it a bit goopy and to have it stick together.
- Use a funnel to pour honey into the open end of the straw until at desired fullness.
- Seal the other end of the now-full straw using the same method above.
And just like that, you’ve got perfect, single-serving kratom honey sticks that you DIY’d the heck out of!
This is one of our favorite ways to enjoy kratom — but if you’re looking for another way to enjoy kratom and honey together, check out our recipe for kratom honey balls (and peanut butter balls)!